Tuesday, December 2, 2008

-The winter months are here, which (along with uncle Tom) reminded me of times long past when I used to blog every week on Saturday. Maybe I don't have quite that amount of time anymore, but I think I'll try to be at least semi-monthly.

-There's a Fox Trot strip where it shows school getting progressively harder and harder until Paige ends up with all D's and F's. When I look back on my Lena Whitmore Elementary days, I can definitely see where the artist is coming from. From a very unmerciful standpoint, this would mean that I would have an overall GPA of 0.0 in college, but Things are Looking Up right now, and they say that middle school is the Worst Part of grade school. My grades don't come close to as bad as in the strip, either, but it does seem like I'm the only one sometimes.

-In English, we got an assignment on philosophy. Right now, I'm trying to think of how to explain to my teacher that Mormons think that man is half bad, half good. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Jules said...

I'm really happy to see you posting! There are several different philosophies in psychology that approach the idea of multiple selves. Have your mom explain about the id, the ego, and the super-ego! (Or the reptile, monkey, and angel brains). You could compare that to our religious philosophy of the natural man and the spiritual man. New psych theory is trending towards a paradigm of multiple personalities, which might make a more up to date paper. You could see the article in the Atlantic about "Plural Personalities" at this link: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/multiple-personalities

Gillian said...

Hmmm...I'm not feeling that philosophical right now, but I am glad you're back to blogging!

Grandma's Musings said...

Great blog. Things just generally get better a little every day after the low of seventh grade. Trust me. As for man's dual (or multiple) nature, I think of us as gradually progressing from being immature and selfish through developing an understanding of the needs of others toward thinking and acting in a generous and Christlike way. Some of us "get it" and some don't, but it's the work of a lifetime.